The Artground – A Curious Place To Be is managed and nurtured by The Ground Co Limited, a registered arts charity. We aim to provide positive arts experiences across a variety of art forms for children from birth to 9 years old in an accessible space that welcomes children from every community.
*Video from GroundBreakers 2021 Callout. On-site test sessions were conducted prior to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Through our GroundBreakers artist incubation programme, we aim to be a space where all artists, young and younger, can be curious about discovering different ways of artmaking, and create works that are delightful for their audiences. We believe that all children deserve aesthetic experiences that are thoughtfully designed and considered. The Artground will provide the space, literal and figurative, for artmakers to conceptualize, to devise, to test and to design these experiences in order to break new ground in the Arts for Young Audiences (A4YA) sector.
As part of the GroundBreakers programme, The Artground (TAG) invites artists to propose new ideas, targeted at children from birth to 9 years, to be incubated at our space. These ideas / concepts can slide along the spectrum between live and digital presentations as we navigate the currently fluid performative boundaries. The focus of the creative development should be child-centric where the children (and their carers/parents where applicable) are co-creators in the process. We are looking for artists who have not applied and/or been successful in the GroundBreakers programme. Experience in working with children is not essential in a successful application.
Upon selection, all artists will embark on a year-long process and have:
Your application form will be accessed on the following:
– The articulation of your idea / concept
– How it would actively engage the young audience
(and their accompanying carers, where applicable)
– Development process and timeline
(Do demonstrate your ability to plan your creative process, set out its objectives, envision the outcomes, self-reflection etc)
(a bonus! If the project can scale according to evolving social distancing measures)
From the application open call, shortlisted applicants will be invited for GroundBreaking Day, where artists are given 7 mins to pitch their ideas to a panel of children, with another 3 mins for Q&A. The children will deliberate and score the artists, facilitated by the TAG Team. Top scorers are then selected to be GroundBreaker artists for a year.
Please note that:
Live work-in-progress presentations are contingent on prevailing safe distancing regulations. As such, schedules and work plans for selected projects affected may be subjected to change and mutual agreement between artist/s and TAG.
For selected digital presentations, a customised work plan based on the concept will be discussed between artist/s and TAG to be mutually agreed upon.
– All applications must be completed on this Google Form by 21 February 2022, 2359hrs.
– All shortlisted applicants will be notified by 28 February 2022 and are required to attend the Pitch session with a children’s panel on 16 March 2022, Wed between 12.30pm – 5.30pm. Attendance for the Pitch is compulsory to be considered for the GroundBreakers programme.
– Each individual Pitch session will be 7 min plus 3 min Q&A from the TAG Children Panel
– Selected Applicants will be notified by 30 March 2022 and GroundBreakers 2022 will start in April 2022 – March 2023.
– Artist/s has to be locally based.
For more information, please email email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org